Monday, January 5, 2009

Meat Pie

My work is loving the world,...which is gratitude, to be given a mind and a heart...
...telling them all, over and over, how it is
that we live forever.
---from Mary Oliver's "Messenger."

Meat Pie our Chocolate Labbie     
born on February 14, 2002, and died the morning of January 2, 2009.  

So now I am in a new chapter.  Can't even say it is new, as I have been here before, just not with my Meat Pie.  And really, my writer-self has collapsed for the time being, so I am going to let Denise Levertov say it for me:

Talking to Grief

 

Ah, grief, I should not treat you

like a homeless dog

who comes to the back door

for a crust, for a meatless bone.

I should trust you.

 

I should coax you

into the house and give you

your own corner,

a worn mat to lie on,

your own water dish.

 

You think I don’t know you’ve been living

under my porch.

You long for your real place to be readied

Before winter comes. You need

your collar and tag. You need

the right to warn off intruders,

to consider my house your own

and me your person

and yourself my own dog.


Thank you all, for being there, for your love, for your proving that Life is Good.

xoxoLC




1 comment:

Peter said...

I do not know what to say, except that I am sorry and I feel for you.

peter

 
script type="text/javascript" src="http://s44.sitemeter.com/js/counter.js?site=s44larabee">