Tuesday, July 20, 2010

...a deposit left by some former radiance




Keep fresh before me the moments of my high resolve.

Despite the dullness and barrenness of the days that pass, if I search with due diligence, I can always find a deposit left by some former radiance.  But I had forgotten.  At the time it was full-orbed, glorious, and resplendent.  I was sure that I would never forget.  In the moment of its fullness, I was sure that it would illumine my path for all the rest of my journey.  I had forgotten how easy it is to forget.

There was no intent to betray what seemed so sure at the time.  My response was whole, clean, authentic.  But little by little, there crept into my life the dust and grit of the journey.  Details, lower-level demands, all kinds of cross currents -- nothing momentous, nothing overwhelming, nothing flagrant -- just wear and tear.  If there had been some direct challenge -- a clear-cut issue -- I would have fought it to the end, and beyond.

In the quietness of this place, surrounded by the all-pervading Presence of Spirit, my heart whispers:  Keep fresh before me the moments of my High Resolve, that in fair weather or in foul, in good times or in tempests, in the days when the darkness and the foe are nameless or familiar, I may not forget that to which my life is committed.

Keep fresh before me
The moments of my high resolve.


(From  The Inward Journey by Howard Thurman)

4 comments:

AkasaWolfSong said...

A beautiful Life Prayer!

Namaste'
xoxo

Merry ME said...

Keep fresh before me the moments of my high resolve.

Just what I needed right at this moment. Thank you.

Ms. Moon said...

Wow. I am going to think about this for quite awhile. Thank-you.

N2 said...

Yes! This is a good one to think about in the fog of the morning or the dark of the night or even, should one find oneself there, during a yoga meditation. x0 N2

 
script type="text/javascript" src="http://s44.sitemeter.com/js/counter.js?site=s44larabee">