Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Waves


Well, Hello There.  Looky here:  it is 1/11/11.  A good moment to rekindle with my writing.  A good day to download 126 images onto my new, shiny computer with back-lit keyboard, I kid you not, I can type in the dark if I want to; and a good day to gather 10 poems together and bundle them into a brown manila envelope (and mail them).


We spent the week after Christmas at the Coast.  The weather was beautiful.  We saw hundreds of whales on January 1 swimming south.  I have never seen so many, they passed by all day long, huffing and puffing.  The days were spent sipping coffee, walking, eating, reading, laughing, talking, eating, walking, sitting in the hot tub, reading, laughing, sleeping, napping, eating....  bliss.  We didn't start up the truck once in 4 + days!


For the past weeks I have only checked my computer-stuff from the office.  Mine crashed, very completely, not too surprising, since I had been duly warned the last couple of times we'd been into the shop.  Nope.  I didn't back up anything, even though I had had that whole routine explained to me for the last 6 years.  Yep:  when it all came down I was mortified.  Haven't I written about this before?  Sorry for repeating myself.

So.  I emptied my sock drawer of cash, and the mattress, too.  I turned pockets and baskets upside down.  I stole all quarters left around the house.  I ordered my new laptop.

The next day my back went out as I drove from Sarah's house to mine.  I think that is called buyer's freak-out.  It lasted a few days.


Then Wayne went on his business trip and I was home with the dogs, which is always fun.  No, really, it is.  Then the back fence fell over and that is a story unrelated to this one, even though there is an overlap.  While Wayne was gone I made my own coffee, extremely black on the first morning, a little less so the next, and pretty darn good the third.  I packed in wood and took out the ashes.  I went to work.  I took each dog out every day, in spite of their insatiable desire to go 50 thousand miles, now.  Yes, we were very glad to hear his truck pull into the driveway.  Very.


Before the computer crashed, the printer died.  It seemed as though every piece of machinery I use was thrashed.  Finished.  Fine then, I won't print here at home.  Of course, printing out the writing gets a little tedious, but oh well, it's temporary.


You see, LPC, this is Life.  Rolling in, wave by wave by wave.  I am grateful for each day, and every day may hold a challenge or twenty.  In the overall scheme of things, Life richly blesses my existence.  Electronics are helpful, and I can write in my paper notebooks.

It was strangely calm and peaceful to not have a computer!  I was a little reluctant to pick up email and Facebook, even at the office.  For me there is always a tug to go backwards, to slip into the pre-computer age, to stir up a pot of chicken soup, to stare at birds, the dogs, the leafless branches, sky, light dancing behind the breakers, to let the verses in my mind trail onto a page, to read a book from cover to cover.


Zero

Zero
Is where the Real Fun starts.

There's too much counting
Everywhere else!
***
Hafiz
***
Much love and gratitude.
xoxoLC

7 comments:

Victoria Williams said...

Love the ocean shots. We're overdue for a trip to the coast.
Well, we're heading up to a yurt soon; that will be nice with no electricity for four days........

N2 said...

Hooray! She's back riding the waves on the internet. So glad that shiny new Apple product is workin' for you. x0 N2

Merry ME said...

There is something so sacred about standing at the edge of the ocean. Man has been watching those waves come and go for eons, yet each one is fresh from the Divine Ones hand. How cool is that?

As for new computers, I think it is great fun to have a new blank screen, but the setting up and the backing up and the possibility of disaster always kind of drives me crazy. I am glad you're back!

Ms. Moon said...

Do you love your new Mac as much as I love mine? I am assuming that's what you got...
But oh- those pictures. Honey chile. I want to be there.
Sigh. Sigh. Sigh.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, thank goodness you're back although I am sorry that you had a computer crash and I am happy that you had a break from the crazy internets. I love each and every one of your photos --

TjandMark/AKA PearlandHawkeye said...

Glad you are back. I feel the pull to go back in time too. But living isolated like I do, I might go nuttier than normal. Nice photos and thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to hear your electronic voice and see through your digital eyes. Beautiful photographs, Lovely words. Hafez's interjection works well, too.

 
script type="text/javascript" src="http://s44.sitemeter.com/js/counter.js?site=s44larabee">